Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Maternity Clothes

If you're pregnant, and have gone into maternity clothing stores, you know that they are outrageously priced. I wore my maternity clothes for a little less than a year (before and after the babies were born). Knowing that I would only wear the clothes for a year, it's hard to pay those prices.

If you do need to buy maternity clothes new, I found a few places that were reasonable.

  • Old Navy
  • Target
  • Kohl's

Second hand Maternity Clothes

If you don't have a lot of friends to pass along their maternity clothes, you can buy some second hand. The Mothers of Multiples sales that I've been to have maternity clothes. They are generally quite inexpensive. You have to guess your size because there's no way to try to them on, but generally cheap enough to roll the dice on whether or not it will look good on you. I went to the retail stores first and tried on clothes so I would generally know my size and then shopped at the multiples sales. It's generally been noted that maternity clothes don't sell well at these sales. I have a couple of theories on this - the first is the size and not being able to try it on, the second is that pregnant women don't know about or think about these sales as options for buying clothes. The good news is, if you do know about it, then you'll have lots of choices and not much competition for buying a particular item. The other good news is that sellers have to price low because no one is going to pay a lot for something they can't try on.

You can also look on Craigslist. I found a lot of people selling maternity clothes for a few dollars an item, or a bunch of items for one low price there.

No comments:

Post a Comment