Sunday, May 10, 2009

Scary stuff in baby products

I am all about saving money and I try not to get scared by hype that will make me spend lots of money when the generic or ordinary will do. Well, I just got scared. I found this site: http://cosmeticdatabase.com/, and learned about the scary stuff they put in children's products. So, now I'm trying to figure out what to do - go the cost conscience way and not worry about carcinogens, or go the more organic way and get safer products for my babies.

Here's my dilemma and a little research I've done on prices:
Ratings from the cosmetic database = 0-2 low hazard, 3-6 moderate hazard, 7-10 high hazard

Baby Wipes
Kirkland Signature currently using ($0.022/wipe @Costco) = Rating 5
7th Generation Baby Wipes ($0.041/wipe @Amazon; $0.047 with dispenser @BabiesRUs) = Rating 2
Tushies Baby Wipes with Aloe Vera, Unscented ($0.054/wipe @Drugstore.com) = Rating 1
  • We tried out the Tushies Baby Wipes and they are awful. They are small and thin and don't wipe well. So, you have to use more. The thinness makes it so you are likely to punch a hole through them with your finger which is gross.

Diaper Rash Ointment
Desitin currently using ($1.74/oz @Amazon) = Rating 5
Triple Paste Medicated Ointment ($1.54/oz @Drugstore.com) = Rating 1

Shampoo and Body Wash
Johnson and Johnson Head-to-Toe Body Wash currently using ($0.255/oz @Amazon.com) = Rating 5
Seaside Naturals Baby Wash ($1.31/oz @Amazon.com) = Rating 0

  • Tried Seaside Naturals Baby Wash and it seems nice. Nice smell and gets the baby clean.

Now, I need to look at what other things we use for the babies, look up their ratings and decide what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment